Matthew C. Bangerter, ESQ.
Cleveland Criminal Defense Attorney Matthew C. Bangerter, ESQ.
As a former Assistant Prosecutor in Lake County Ohio, Cleveland criminal defense attorney Matthew C. Bangerter, ESQ. has experience with the strategies used by prosecutors to pursue their cases. As a member of the Ohio Bar Association, Lake County Bar Association, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Cuyahoga Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, and the Board of Directors of the Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, he takes his profession as a Cleveland criminal defense attorney seriously and ensures that he is up to date with the latest case law and trial strategies.
Forensic evidence is incredibly important in criminal cases, and Bangerter’s scientific background gives him an edge when evaluating the forensic evidence involved in a criminal defense case. He obtained a Bachelor’s degree in biology and studied molecular genetics and computer science in graduate school. He is one of very few criminal defense attorneys who has actually cloned his own DNA in a lab, so he is well-versed in the scientific evidence involved in various criminal cases.
Matthew Bangerter has been certified by the National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) in the Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement (ARIDE) program, and to administer the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests (SFSTs). This specialized training enables him to thoroughly scrutinize the administration of those tests and present the best possible defense in OVI/DUI cases.
Awards and Recognition for Cleveland Criminal Defense Attorney Matthew C. Bangerter, ESQ.
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2017
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2016
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2015
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2014
- President’s Award, Lake County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2014
- Bar College, Ohio State Bar Association, 2014
Court Admissions and Licenses
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- United States 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- 10/26/2014 — From Trial to Appeal to Retrial, LCCDLA Annual Criminal Defense Seminar
- 5/29/2014 — Defending the Guilty, Rotary Club of Mentor
- 2013 — Guest Lecturer, Government, ITT Technical Institute
- 2010 — Guest Lecturer, Composition II, ITT Technical Institute
- Baker & Bangerter, Ohio State Bar Association, What are my Miranda Rights (July 7, 2014).
- Board Member, Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Former Co-Chair, Amicus Committee
- Board Member, Northeast Ohio Board of Advocates for the Ohio Innocence Project
- Secretary, 2017-2018
- Board Member, Lake Health Foundation, Lake County, Ohio
- Standardized Field Sobriety Tests (SFSTs) — Certified Administrator by NHTSA and IACP
- Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement (ARIDE) — Certified by NHTSA and IACP
- Certified by the Ohio Supreme Court’s Commission on Appointment of Counsel in Capital Cases for appointment as Co-Counsel for indigent defendants facing the Death Penalty
Current and Former Professional Associations
- Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- National College for DUI Defense
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Cuyahoga Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Lake County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Lake County Bar Association
- Geauga County Bar Association
- The Ohio Association for Justice
When you’re looking for the best Cleveland criminal defense attorney, Matthew C. Bangerter, ESQ. is your man. Click here for a free initial consultation or call (440) 241-4237 to start planning your defense.
"Mr. Bangerter has provided excellent representation for me and my family on more than one occasion. He has represented us in domestic cases, and an OVI case. Both of these cases had favorable outcomes. He is highly knowledgeable, straightforward, and professional at all times. He treated us with respect, dignity, and answered any questions or concerns in a timely manner. I highly recommend Mr. Bangerter for any legal matter. I am very grateful for his service in our time of need."
"I hired Matthew Bangerter living in Illinois and he was the most honest and professional attorney I had ever pleasure to work with. My case was dismissed and the outcome was exactly I wanted. The result was very important since I am a truck driver and my career depends on this. Matthew was most helpful and I am very grateful for the service."
Stanislaw of Illinois
“Matthew.Bangerter is the best attorney I have.ever had the pleasure of working with. He.is the most caring, and trustworthy of any other attorney."
"I highly endorse Mr. Bangerter. Truly exceptional and caring attorney who gets great results in representing clients! I want all people with legal problems to contact him first."
Mark Clay Immigration Attorney
"I endorse Matthew. He is a highly skilled attorney that is well respected in the legal community."
Michael Waddington Military Law Attorney
"I endorse this lawyer. I know Matt through work experience and socializing. Mott really cares about justice and fighting for the little guy!! I fully endorse his integrity and work ethic."
Christine Tibaldi Divorce & Separation Attorney